[Squaredancing] RE: [Square-dancing] Re: funny clothes

ljknews ljknews at mac.com
Fri Jul 22 08:56:35 EDT 2005

At 5:42 AM -0400 7/22/05, James W. Spinks wrote:
>Group,
>
>I have been a SD'r (Square Dancer) since Sept. 1966 when I
>was a Junior in HS. Below describes how I became a square
>dancer.

>The Square Dance attire adds to the fun of square dancing. The thing
>I most HATE is people who show up in BLUE JEANS and Blue Jean Shirts.
>I have seen BOTH Men and Women at dances in BLUE JEANS. A matter of
>fact there are TWO couples in one of my clubs that have several MATCHING
>Blue JEAN outfits with "TIE-DYE" patches on the knees and elbows and
>pockets of the jeans and shirts.
>
>The WHOLE purpose of Square Dancing attire is to eliminate the FALSE
>impression that MOST Americans have that Square Dance is a Back Road
>Rural "HICK" activity.

That is an interesting historical look at the origin of the funny clothes.

In the Boston area many people have never even seen a farm up close.
Overcoming the idea that it is a lot of work to go to a square dance
(as distinguished from a lot of work to square dance) has become a
more important need.  Remember, we are competing with activities where
people do not even have to leave their home.
--
Larry Kilgallen