[Squaredancing] Re: 54th NSDC on Jay Leno

Clark Baker cmbaker at tiac.net
Wed Jul 27 20:35:36 EDT 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 11:15 AM, ljknews wrote:

> Of course it was naturally the subset of square dancers who can afford
> to (and choose to) travel to Oregon.  For me the piece solidified my
> (negative) reaction to US national square dancing conventions.

I don't believe it is fair to judge how well you would be entertained
at a National Convention by the Jay Leno coverage, especially since
their goal is to poke fun at the event.

I have attended 4 recent Nationals and expect to attend at least the
next 3.  Each is different, and at each I find ways to be entertained.
Sometimes it is watching the exhibition dancers, sometimes it is
attending the seminars.  Other times it is dancing in the contra or
Advanced or Challenge halls.  Often it is dancing with younger dancers
who "get" it.  Finally, closing out each evening with 2 hours of Plus
hexagons is fun.

If you can't have fun at a National, it is hard to see where you can
have fun.

> Remember those are the events that publicize that you _must_ wear
> funny clothes.

I haven't been excluded from a National wearing what I wear to most
contra dances.  I usually try to wear a western shirt each evening.

Of course, if the travel and staying expense is too much, you should
choose your dance events.  Certainly the dance fee for Nationals is
reasonable.

--
Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
cmbaker at tiac.net