[Squaredancing] Re: [sd-callers] National Convention trip report

Heinz D. Trost htrost at onlinehome.de
Tue Jun 28 20:32:30 EDT 2005

Anne et al,

> This was another point that Tony Oxendine made.  He doesn't see anything
> wrong with people being able to have a drink at a dance.

well, I know that Tony O. likes alcohol and the landlord where Tony and
Jerry stayed for years when they called in our area told me that she
filled up the bar of the hotel every evening, went to sleep, and then
every morning she had to get up early before first breakfast guest to
put away the bottles which they emptied in the nights after the dance.

> This was
> something I don't agree with.  I think one of the things that got me
> hooked on square/round dancing was the fact that there was no smoke and
> no alcohol.  Just unadulterated fun!

yes, and that is one reason why we can get nonsmokers, dried addicted
drinkers and other health-improvy people to the classes and dances which
avoid regular ballroom lessons and -dances because of the smoke.

> But, although I thoroughly enjoy dancing with a skirt and petticoats,
> these are things that should not be a necessity for new dancers.
> Especially in the summer in AZ, where I'm located.  And, special events
> shouldn't say, "square dance attire required" because that will surely
> avert the newbie, who doesn't have square dance attire.

That's absolutely right. In the 50's Petticoats and so were "in" at all
dances which attracted young people. But all other kinds of dance,
including Rock'n Roll updated their attire and made it optional or
switched to casual,- except SD.

Heinz