[Squaredancing] Tom Fromm

Loren Castro lfc32 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 28 19:58:04 EST 2005

Thanks, Jim, for the added information about Tom and for the links to
your site.  I had hoped to find some comments about styling (I'll
continue to look), but for now, I'm happy to have found the following
excerpts:
*******************
Tom Fromm writes:
58. CENTERS IN: Starting formation -whenever there is a couple with
their backs to the center of the set facing or standing behind another
couple (e.g. eight chain thru, completed double pass thru). The outside
dancers step apart as the centers step forward and between them to form
a line.

STYLING: The active couple should use couple handhold and, if stepping
in between couples facing the same direction, join hands in a line of
four. If the active couple steps in between a couple facing in the
opposite direction, use hands-up position with the end dancers. TIMING:
2 steps.

Horst, Bill wrote:
I first teach them centers in without the all-too-standard follow up
call of cast off 3/4. Instead I use "centers partner trade and then the
ends run." (Normal lines) How would "Centers In, Wheel and Deal" work?
Say, "Centers In, see your lines?, Wheel & Deal" -- could the dancers
dance it? If you wanted to do Centers In, Partner Trade with those doing
the Partner Trade being BOTH the RESULTING couples after the Centers
In,(instead of just the two center people also doing the Partner Trade)
what helper words could you use to make it happen? ...yeh, let's do
SOMETHING other than Centers In, Cast Off 3/4.
*******************
I'm not a caller, but I've formed some strong opinions about (among
other things) styling in square dancing during the last 20 years.  Here
are three of them:

Opinion 1.  I'm delighted to see that at least one caller (Fromm) is
teaching Centers In with "The active couple should use couple handhold
and, if stepping in between couples facing the same direction, join
hands in a line of four" instead of the execrable "hook elbows with the
outside couple."  Our weak club now has a relatively inexperienced
caller who tried to teach handholds after Centers In.  The class
chairman jumped all over him and bullied him into teaching "hooked
elbows."  I hope no caller ever teaches "hooked elbows" again.

Opinion 2:  I'm also delighted to see that at least one caller (Holst)
is teaching ". . .  Centers In without the all-too-standard follow-up
call of Cast Off 3/4."  Some years ago, a part-time dancer and full-time
bozo nearly yanked off my left arm after Centers In followed by several
seconds of silence.

Opinion 3:  Typically, the call Centers In ends up with same sex couples
in the line of four, which at Mainstream and Plus usually means the
awkward and distracting flip-flopping of inside hands.  CallerLab
could--and should--provide a great service to dancers by teaching "left
palm down, right palm up" for all dancers in all positions at all levels
from the beginning.  It works really well at Advanced.  (I have no idea
what the Challenge dancers do.)

Loren
-----