[Squaredancing] Square Dancing at Schools and promoting Teen Clubs

M0220sr at aol.com M0220sr at aol.com
Sat Apr 22 09:36:28 EDT 2006

Group:

In the middle 80s for about five years I was the club caller for a teen
square dance club in southern Louisiana. If any of you have done likewise you know
it can be a challenging yet rewarding experience.

I remember all the fun things the teen club did in the past but I also
remember all the troubles involved when kids didn't always get along and tempers
flared.  Thankfully the good times overweighed the bad.

Teen clubs in our area sometimes had a bad reputation in that "they are too
rowdy with all the kicks and twirls and yelling they do. "  "They hurt my ears.
" "I almost fell last time when a teen tried to twirl me."   I put a limit on
all the kicks and crazy "fun" things they did in a square only if we visited
an adult club.  At the club they danced their way on regular open tips but
listened and were attentive when we did workshops and saved the "wild things"
for after the workshop.  A lot of my teens frequently followed me when I called
at other clubs.  All I stated was that if any of them were in a mixed
adult-teen square, they were to dance in a "normal" way, no kicking steps, lavish
twirls, etc.  The other rule was that they were to be polite and treat all adults
with respect.  In their own squares, away from the adult squares so as  not to
interfere, they could do what they wanted.  They abided by that and the
reputation for our club and the other teen club in the area changed in that the
people in the adult clubs didn't cringe or have scowls on their faces when teens
walked through their door.

The ultimate achievement for that teen club was when they danced at the New
Orleans' World's Fair in 1984.  We had so much fun!  All the kick steps,
twirls, yelling and whooping, etc. brought the spectators from far away to find out
what all the noise was about! :)  It was a great day for promoting square
dancing and those kids certainly did their part.

I have been contacted by a teacher at a junior high school about doing
something with square dancing at the school.  What she is mainly looking for is a
regular club to come in and give her music students a demonstration of square
dancing.  That would not be a problem as the club we dance with frequently does
demos for nursing homes, etc.  I could handle both the calling and cueing a
round or two for the demo.

But I also see this as a possible opportunity to return teen dancing to our
area.  We used to have two teen clubs in our area but all of them are gone now.

What I am requesting is a response to this group email (and a copy to my
personal address---m0220sr at aol.com) giving information about promoting teen square
and/or round dancing in schools.  Who should I contact?  Who are the
callers/cuers deeply involved in teen clubs?  Brochures to send for?  Music kids
like....especially this part. What music do kids like that can be used for teen
dancing and would any of the record dealers have suitable music?

I have no idea where all of this will lead but if  something can be achieved
to bring teen dancing (square or round) back into the local area, I'm for it.

Please send info.

Thanks.

R. S. Matthews