[Squaredancing] Square Dancing at Schools and promoting Teen Clubs

Jim Maczko jmaczko at san.rr.com
Sat Apr 22 10:23:48 EDT 2006

R. S. Matthews:

I read your message with great interest, as anything that can be done to introduce teen dancing is an important undertaking.  I myself began dancing as a pre-teen and danced with teen clubs and have continued my involvement with the activity now for more than 50 years.

Currently there is a new program to teach square dancing in schools that has proven to be very successful.  The California Square Dance Council Youth Advisory Committee, with the assistance of a $1,000 grant from the ARTS-Dance Foundation (Alliance of Round, Traditional and Square-Dance, Inc.) has developed a program entitled "Square Dancing 101."  This package contains four CDs with "up beat music" that the kids of today can relate to, complete with recorded instructions for introductory level instruction.  In addition the binders come complete with written instructions, photos and lesson plans that the school teachers can utilize to indoctrinate their students with, what we considers to be true "Modern American Square Dancing" rather than the stereotyped version that most of us were subjected to when we went to school.

Square Dance 101 - A Teacher's Guide to Teaching Square Dancing," focused on the ease of teaching square dancing in the classroom, and showcased a wide selection of hip music sure to entice youth to participate. The teachers who, even if they currently offered square dancing as part of their curriculum, were eager to find music more in tune with what the kids are listening to today enthusiastically embraced the "new" music.

This Square Dance 101 program book sells for $49 plus shipping of $10.00 and is available through

Send orders or inquiries to: Kwik Link/Square Dance 101- c/o 479 Leoni Drive, Grover Beach, CA 93433 - Attn: David & Susan Cleek - (888) 504-5465 / email: SD at rvh2o.com; www.squaredance.org

I have also taken the liberty to attached the order form to this message.

This program has been introduced to school instructors at the 2005 and 2006 California Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance where teachers purchased this program and are using it in their curriculum here in California.

Best of luck with your endeavors and please keep us posted as to your progress.

Jim Maczko - Chairman of the Governing Board
ALLIANCE OF ROUND, TRADITIONAL AND SQUARE-DANCE, INC.
Post Office Box 712918
San Diego, California  92171-2918

619-295-2635

jmaczko at san.rr.com