[Squaredancing] Star Theme (was: Christmas In July)

squarekopp at gmx.de squarekopp at gmx.de
Wed Aug 2 16:14:57 EDT 2006

> For one of my next themes, I am looking at "A Night of Stars"

Star Promenade seems a bit neglected lately. Here is a singing call break with it:

Allemande left your corner
dosado your partner
four boys make a left hand star (and for Nick Turner: And turn 'em!)
pick up your partner, star promenade
all four couples wheel around, star promenade with the ladies in
everybody swing your own and promenade around the town.

> I should be able to work out some sort of a Star into a Single File Promenade

If you dare to, and have a suitable piece of music, here is a Whole Set Contra:

BRIEF ENCOUNTER

Formation: 5 couples proper

a b c d e
A B C D E

twc to the right, by the right hand change places (4 steps)
everyody, by the left hand change places across (4 steps)
twc to the right, by the right hand change places (4 steps)
everyody, by the left hand change places across (4 steps)

Now the formation is

c d e E D
b a A B C

4 girls at top, 4 boys at bottom right hand star (8 steps)
same groups left hand star (8 steps)
Those in the center may balance and swing, or grimace each other, or do whatever they like.

Original top lady (a) and originally bottom man (E) lead their star into a single file promenade around, until everybody is back to the original place. Those in the center fall in behind their own group. (16 steps)

Top couple down the center (8 steps) (and stay there)
Everybody forward and back (8 steps)

You should use something with 110 ... 115 bpm and significiant phrasing (e.g. Scottish dance music), played 5 times through.

Sorry, it will take at least 3 walkthrus before it works (better 5).
Of course you should not do too many walkthrus at the same night. So if you need walkthrus for e.g. Star the Route, and Star and Travel (will have to check Burleson for this) and ... then save this for another night.

Yours squarely,
Heiner Fischle
Hannover, Germany
www.heinerfischle.de