[Squaredancing] Whatever happened to being a polite dancer?

M0220sr at aol.com M0220sr at aol.com
Sat Aug 5 09:53:11 EDT 2006

Thank you, Cynde, for your reply. It was very informative and I agree with
you.

We have several elderly people in our club who can  no longer dance faster
than the standard 128 beats per minute. If a caller  generally plays his records
(patter or singing call) faster than that, these  elderly dancers do well
just to get through a tip without breaking down the  square they are in. You can
see it in their faces that they are having trouble:  faces red, breathing
hard, etc. But the caller often has no idea that he is  causing a lot of stress
for people in the squares before him/her. He/she is  calling what he/she feels
is a good dance, keeping the dancers "up" and  happy.  It isn't until a member
of the club comes up and asks that the  speed be reduced due to whatever the
conditions are in the hall that changes are  made.

Whenever I'm in control of a dance (primarily  rounds now, not calling) and I
see rowdy behavior on the floor I know other  people see it as well...as far
as our club is concerned.  I rarely have to  say anything to someone being
rude, there are several other people in the club  who I have seen talking quietly
and in a very diplomatic manner to someone  who has been pushing or being
rude. Usually it is taken care of and the  aggressive person eventually finds out
that his/her manners are not welcome and  "calm down".

I was speaking primarily (and I didn't say that)  of when we go on vacation
or to a special dance out of town. There, you have  dancers from many different
places and, yes, it would likely be difficult to  "control" their behavior
unless they cause a bad problem like hurting someone or  cause the beginnings of
a fight in a square. We are supposed to be having fun,  after all.

I've known Nasser for years. He is a great caller  and provides a wonderful
evening of square dancing. His "creativity in  delivering material" is well
known throughout the world. If you have  never been to a dance where he is
calling, you should make every effort to  attend the next one if he is in your area.
 Some people like him, some  don't. You just can't like everybody and that's
fine.  We're entitled to  our opinions.

No one should have to leave a dance because of an  injury inflicted by
someone else in a square. If that aggressive person is not  taken aside (maybe by
someone who knows him/her well) and asked to cease the  rude actions, then it's
likely that other kinds of trouble and bad feelings  will happen sometime
during the evening.

Our activity is supposed to promote fun and  fellowship and generally does.
We can't let that periodic instance of  someone who wants to dominate their
actions over others spoil an evening of fun.  But let a friend of that person or
a club officer handle the situation for the  best solution to the problem.

Richard

In a message dated 8/5/2006 3:01:33 A.M. Central Daylight  Time,
cynde at twistercom.fi writes:Do  you think a caller could/should/would remind people now and
then of this? I know  I have been to dances where the callers call too
quickly, double speed or two or  three calls in a row causing 'dancers' to race
through -everyman/woman for  him/herself to get to the final position before the
next set of calls are  blurted.(even though the music is the same!) If you ask
me, even if three calls  are given at once the music should still dictate how
many beats each call takes,  wouldn't it?. The above mentioned just causes
'dancers' to become charging  buffalos to the amusement(?) of the caller(?) I
certainly don't find it amusing  when it happens too often and without humour.

We had a guest caller, Nasser Shukayr,  come recently and call an unusual
dance with odd calls  causing  a mild chaotic scramble. This is NOT what I'm
taking about.  This was welcome silliness and a lot of fun, as it was intended,
to be fun. The caller was laughing the dancers were laughing and it  didn't
continue throughout the day.(but will be fondly  remembered)
Richard, as a caller you are in charge, if you see dancing  you don't like
could you not prompt, encourage, force them (as often as  it takes) away from
these bad habits and teach them about dancing  and manners? I like twirling but
I don't like my shoulder and elbow  in a sling for the rest of the week or my
feet (even ankles!) stomped on  either! (funny, that) I'm sure most dancers
really want to dance  well.
Dancing is one thing, stampeding for the blue light special  is something
competely else.

Cynde, dancer dependant on caller