[Squaredancing] Re: CBS Wednesday, 2/1/06 - Still Standing "Still Flunking" Episode -Square Dancing - Bob Fisk

ljknews ljknews at mac.com
Thu Feb 2 15:29:42 EST 2006

At 3:23 PM -0500 2/2/06, Clark Baker wrote:

> Their writers wanted to use square dancing for comedy and, knowing the
> stereotypes that most of us hold about square dancing, their humor was
> about what we could predict and expect.  We even had a bale of hay in
> the corner (I occasionally get this when I call a ONS).

I watched it as a normal program, and really did not think it made fun
of square dancing.  It needed an alternative activity rather than the
preferred wall-climbing, but most of the fun was poked at the macho
attitude the father and the coach were trying to cultivate. They also
made fun of the characters trying to avoid _any_ activity the grandmother
proposed.

The only sad note for me is that my age is brought home by my shock
at seeing Sally Struthers cast as the grandmother.
--
Larry Kilgallen