[Squaredancing] MWSD as an "Official" dance -- was Re: CBS Wednesday.....

Dave Hinde dave at daveswebplace.net
Thu Feb 2 16:06:11 EST 2006

I changed the subject line, since I wanted to respond to Clark's thought
about square dancing being an official dance.

This is my personal opinion, but I think there are a number of reasons why
square dancing should be our countries official dance.  Making it so may
help obtain halls, etc., but I never thought about that until you pointed it
out.  I would consider that a side benefit.

As far as I know there are only two dance forms that originated in the
United States.  There may be 3 or 4 by now, but I remember from a game show
a bunch of years ago, that there were only two.  One is square dancing, the
other is tap dancing.  If the US were to pick an official dance, it should
be something native to the US.

Another reason is the whole concept of how square dancing came to be.  It
was a combination of dances from several European countries.  Our nation was
formed the same way, by blending nationalities together to form a new and
unique nation.  Square dancing was formed the same way.

Over the years square dancing has stayed up to date with it's music, using
the traditional styling and movements with today's music.  That may or may
not be a reason to make it an official dance, but I like that the movement
keeps up to date in that respect.  If you look at clothing we kept up to
date until the mid 60s, but that bag of worms is another thread of emails,
and shouldn't be considered when talking about making a dance "official".

I also think square dancing is a good "model" for an activity because of the
way it blends people of different backgrounds and cultures together.  When
you step into a square you do not care what the other peoples religion is,
what their income is, what their background is.  You work together with the
other 7 people that you just met to get thru the dance.  This is another
good example of why square dancing is a good activity and deserves
recognition by our government.

There's also the health reason for promoting square dancing.  Studies on
aging for many years have said that people who remain both physically and
mentally active throughout their life, will continue to have good physical
and mental health in their senior years.  Square Dancing has been used by a
Penn State study as a prime example of an activity that combines both.  Not
everyone is gracefull enough for a lot of dance forms, but in square dancing
you just need to be able to walk and know your right hand from the left.
Other forms of dance require you to know your right foot from the left, and
that's more complicated:-)

The above are the reasons we should be promoting square dancing as an
official dance - at least in my humble opinion.

Dave Hinde
 __/, at __    dave at daveswebplace.net
/O____O_|  http://evadsti.net