[Squaredancing] Re: CBS Wednesday, 2/1/06 - Still Standing "Still Flunking" Episode -Square Dancing - Bob Fisk

Heinz D. Trost htrost at gmx.de
Fri Feb 3 05:01:39 EST 2006

Clark  et al,

> As for square dancing being the state dance in many states, this is
> nothing I am proud of.  I thought that each state was different, with a
> different history and heritage and its state dance should reflect that.
>  How did so many states end up with the same state folk dance?

We can't request more positive reports before we weren't able to change
the situation, make square dancing to a sport much more people of all
ages will be interested in.

Average people watch folk dances in a demo or on T.V., or as a tourist
somewhere, maybe attending a wedding, too. But they usually don't like
to learn and do folk dances.

So I believe we should promote the more sportive image.

BTW: On January 21st, we had our annual Stuttgart Student Convention.
This is 5 1/2 hours of MWSD (Basic 30) and 1 hour rounds (level of the
actually RD class which started in October with Cha, Rumba, Waltz,
2step), the 7 callers and 1 cuer were from Greather Stuttgart area.
Under 323 dancers we only had 88 students this year.

Visitors usually asked: "Is this your competition?"
A young visitor had a look into the hall and said: "Wow! I never thought
that people in that age can dance so funny!"

And a square dancer (in his 30's, I think) told his girlfrien/wife while
watching the rounds: "This is round dance, it's for people 60 and older!"

Heinz
Germany