[Squaredancing] Re: CBS Wednesday, 2/1/06 - Still Standing "Still Flunking" Episode -Square Dancing - Bob Fisk

Ken Robinson kenrbnsn at rbnsn.com
Fri Feb 3 07:22:13 EST 2006

At 05:01 AM 2/3/2006, Heinz D. Trost wrote:

>We can't request more positive reports before we weren't able to
>change the situation, make square dancing to a sport much more
>people of all ages will be interested in.

In my club's small class this year, the ages of the students range
from 5 to the early 50's. Actually the kids outnumber the adults (we
have 6 kids ages 5,5, 9,9,9, 13) All of the kids are children of
Square Dancers, but were not forced to take the lessons -- all of
them wanted to.

>Average people watch folk dances in a demo or on T.V., or as a
>tourist somewhere, maybe attending a wedding, too. But they usually
>don't like to learn and do folk dances.
>
>So I believe we should promote the more sportive image.

I think so also -- that's how Ballroom Dancing has had a resurgence
of popularity, they emphasized the sport image (Dancesport). This has
led to a Ballroom Dancing reality show called "Dancing with the Stars".

>Visitors usually asked: "Is this your competition?"
>A young visitor had a look into the hall and said: "Wow! I never
>thought that people in that age can dance so funny!"

We've gotten that comment all the time.  The answer that we've
usually given -- "The only competition is to see who can have the most fun."

>And a square dancer (in his 30's, I think) told his girlfrien/wife
>while watching the rounds: "This is round dance, it's for people 60 and older!"

Then it's time to educate the younger square dancers about the many
forms of dancing and show them some of the more energetic round dances.

Ken Robinson
Hillsborough, NJ