[Squaredancing] Re: CBS Wednesday, 2/1/06 - Still Standing "Still Flunking" Episode -Square Dancing - Bob Fisk

Jim Maczko jmaczko at san.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 19:26:30 EST 2006

At 3:23 PM -0500 2/2/06, Clark Baker wrote:

> Their writers wanted to use square dancing for comedy and, knowing the
> stereotypes that most of us hold about square dancing, their humor was
> about what we could predict and expect.  We even had a bale of hay in the
> corner (I occasionally get this when I call a ONS).
> Sure, Callerlab should do something.  Perhaps the ARTS should do
> something.  But what if nothing is to be done?

While the Still Standing "Still Flunking" Episode was far from flattering to
the Square Dance activity, in all likelihood it did not have a very large
audience.

When Saturday Night Live did their "Dirty Square Dancing" episode 12 to 15
years ago, the Square Dance community responded with volumes of protests
from individual dancers and from multiple dance organizations.  The results
of this large response was that NBC saw the controversy caused by their
airing the "Dirty Square Dancing" episode, so they re-ran the show every
chance they got, which did far more harm that the original episode.

As a result of this previously experience, I would recommend that we not
over react to what simply was a poorly done portrayal of the activity we
love.  If we recognize that their efforts were aimed at be humorous and not
as a true portrayal of square dancing, we are probably better off ignoring
this situation.

Jim Maczko - Chairman of the Governing Board
ALLIANCE OF ROUND, TRADITIONAL AND SQUARE-DANCE, INC.
Post Office Box 712918
San Diego, California  92171-2918

619-295-2635

jmaczko at san.rr.com