[Squaredancing] Re: [sd-callers] Calling for a Deaf Person

ljknews ljknews at mac.com
Wed Sep 27 10:56:28 EDT 2006

At 11:22 PM -0400 9/26/06, Kenritucci at aol.com wrote:

> A local club is going to be having a totally deaf person attempt to take
> lessons this year. They asked me if I could solicit any ideas out there of
> callers/clubs who might have attempted to do this and how it was handled.

Knowing the area you might consider "local", I presume you did not leave
out some part that said "unlimited budget".  An ideal arrangement would
involve an assistant caller doing American Sign Language with a video
repeater projected onto each of the 4 walls.

For a beginning dancer with different training, it would be cheaper to
send Morse Code over a flashing light (again requiring an assistant caller).
Looking at the addressee list, I see that might be a possibility.

But if you are able to do anything in this regard, I think pumping a lot
of bass into a resonant floor would give a better chance for the target
dancer to have the same enjoyment of dancing to the music that hearing
dancers sense.
--
Larry Kilgallen