[Squaredancing] [sd-callers] Pizza party [Report....Loonnnggg]

Mike Gormley WA8VEC at ARRL.NET
Fri Jan 26 15:13:41 EST 2007

> Would you be willing to create a report for the caller's forum after
> this? I am rather interested to hear how this turns out. Good luck!!
>
> Maxwell Rounds
> Youth Caller
> roundsm at gmail.com
Well, time got in the way for this one and I did not get to finish the
planning in time, using all of the ideas submitted.

Here is what I did do.

This was a special dance also in that we invited our class to attend.
They had only 6 hours of class up to this point. We are snowbirds down
here remember.  So calls were limited to the very basics.  Attendance
was 46 dancers.  Our largest dance this season.

I wore my Papa Johns uniform complete with hat.  The dance location is
not  within the delivery area (down in the Keys some locations are
rather isolated), so I actually stopped at the store and picked up the
pizza myself.  By design, I arrived as late as possible to have the
pizza hot.  It was a 20 minute drive from the store. The other equipment
already set up for pre rounds, I set up my laptop and called one tip.
We then ate the pizza sitting at pre-arranged tables.
Nothing too special about the tips, other that one of my singing calls
was "She Didn't Know - Hi Hat - 376".   I changed the lyrics to:  "She
didn't know the pizza had onions (anchovies), and she will never, never
do it again!"   Also, "...of a gal with a pizza that wasn't made just right"
I was considering using the record "Beautiful Noise - Cross Country -
509" and changing the lyrics to something like the following in no
particular order, but did not have time to refine the tune for presentation:

What a Beautiful pizza (smell), it's the kind that I love
Extra cheese and pepperoni, cooked well done, in a hot oven

Promenade to the kind that I love....
And it tastes so well, like an old leather glove!!!!!!!

But there's even romance, watching the cheese bubbles dance
When the heat is just right

What a beautiful pizza  ...coming through my front door
That will be $13.29, I'll tip the driver, that's fine
And go get some wine

Optional first line above:  What a beautiful noise....the ringing of my
door bell

Other tunes in consideration were:

Turn out the Light (the party's over)
Hey Good Lookin' (what's you got cookin')
Burgers and Fries (changing the lyrics)
I'll be back for more (pizza)
Cookin' up a Storm (patter)
Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight (Hot Time Eatin' Our Pizza Tonight)

We did have pizza fun badges to sell.

I also held a "PIZZA SLAPPING CONTEST"

You probably know a pizza starts with a ball of dough, it is then
kneaded into a small disk shape and finally "slapped back and forth from
hand to hand" to stretch it into its' final size.

I simulated the slapping by providing 18 inch x 18 inch "micro fiber
cloths" (a chamois  cloth might work too) to serve as a pizza.  Be sure
to get the cloths wet, it's easier.  I showed them how to slap from hand
to hand and then divide the group into men vs. women teams.   I set my
timer for 15 seconds and we counted the number of "slaps" each member
did and kept a running tally. If they dropped the cloth, we resumed the
count from the point where it was dropped.

For the 46 participants it was taking  too long, so we quit after 7 per
side, with the ladies declared the winners.  I then had them pick the
best of their team, and we had a "slap off", with the man winning that
one.  He was presented with a FREE 3 TOPPING PIZZA card from Papa Johns
as a prize.  The booby prize went to the lady, consisting of my "picture
dangle" specially autographed on the back as the booby prize.

We did have them sign up 2 dances in advance for the pizza, choosing
from a list of  4 one topping pizzas.  It made it easy to order the
pizza allowing 2 slices per person.   I suggest keeping all pizzas the
same number of toppings to avoid, conflicts concerning who owes what.
A donation basket was passed once we knew the bill and could suggest a
donation amount to cover the cost, with any extra ($19) going to the
driver (me) as a tip.  It came out to $3 per person suggested.

Mike Gormley
Florida Keys