[Squaredancing] Discussion on the National in Charlotte

Bob Ensten miatax at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 18:28:17 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Robinson" <kenrbnsn at rbnsn.com>
To: <squaredancing at rbnsn.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 9:13 AM
Subject: [Squaredancing] Discussion on the National in Charlotte

> Now some negatives:
>
> The rubberized plastic floor that was put over the carpet was hard to
> dance on at first and it rippled in spots. I heard that some round
> dancers tripped on the ripples.

The round and square dancers tripped on the ripples, and the corners of the squares which raised up in some areas.  The round dancers have less of a problem since we generally pick up our feet to step.  A lot of square dancers were taught to shuffle rather than walk when dancing and have more of a problem.

> The convention organizers really should speak with the restaurants and
> fast food places near the convention to make sure they can stay open
> in the evening. There was a small shopping mall not far from the
> convention center and almost all the fast food places were closed by 5
> PM.

The cafeteria across the street from the convention hall adjusted their hours Thursday, Friday and Saturday and extended their breakfast and lunch hours.  They normally closed at 2:30 PM, but for the convnetion they reopened for dinner all three days.  The food was good and reasonably priced, but the wait in line was sometines an hour or more.  There were at least three other restaurants that I know of within a block of the convention center that were open for dinner.