[Squaredancing] Discussion on the National in Charlotte Dress code

Brenda brenda.kc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:25:13 EDT 2007

Square dancing like most public functions has always needed a dress code.

Prefer to wear traditional dance clothing however in my real life would
never
wear a dress this short, nevertheless with layers of petticoats along with
petti-pants one can adapt. One of the nice things about dressing traditional
is women look like ladies and all the men gentlemen. This is very
good for the ID allowing both  sexes to feel special.  Be it feminine for
the ladies along with masculine for the gentleman makes for a healthy fun
night out.

Personally do not believe that changing from requiring people to
be well groomed to allowing them to wear anything will bring more
people into square dancing.

Personally would not enjoy dancing very close to people who do not
feel to need to be well groomed at a public function.  Many people attend
public functions in clothes what should be used to clean their attic stating
they want to be comfortable.

If slacks are allowed we have to state what kind, how tight, and or dressy.
Shorts, how short, tight, and  or how dressy.

Attended a country western dance where they did not allow
the females who arrived in shorts where their cheeks hung out the bottom
along with tank tops so low nothing was left to the imagination to enter.
Although there was not a stated dress code it was a Christian Singles
Dance that did not allow smoking or alcohol as well. Many Dance clubs or
groups have dress codes.

Chris (male) showed up at one of the Christian Singles dances in the summer
with a short sleeved nice shirt, along with long walking shorts.  He  never
tried this again people found it totally unacceptable for a Saturday night
dance.  Chris was the one who started this dance club LOL.

Although square dancing is down that is true of all dancing not just square
dancing.  More people are staying home surfing the net.  More than likely
this trend will change as they all do and active dancing will make a come
back clubs just needed to hang in there do their best to recruit so when
things change again, the clubs will still be here and ready to teach new
dancers.

Brenda

Dress Code Definitions
  TRADITIONAL
  Square Dance style dress or skirt with blouse/top and petticoat and
pettipants or prairie type long skirts with blouse/top for women.  Long
sleeve shirts and ties for men with nice jeans or western style slacks.
  PROPER /BASIC
  Long or short sleeve shirts for men, short sleeve blouses/tops for women.
Square Dance style dress or skirt prairie type long skirts, nice jeans or
slacks for men and women. No tie required.
  CASUAL
  Male - T-shirts with sleeves, polo shirts etc with short sleeves. Pants:
length no shorter than just above the knee. No tank tops.
  Female - Blouses, t-shirts with sleeves etc with no bare backs or midriffs
Pants: Bermudas, petal pushers or long pants. Skirts: no shorter than top of
knee or above knee must wear petti-pants. No revealing or see through
clothing.  No spandex, hi-cut shorts, bare midriff tops, tank tops or muscle
shirts).
  THEME
  Using the casual guidelines and adding items that fit the theme of the
dance. It can always be more toward traditional, but not less than casual.
  SAME GENDER PARTNERS
  Please dress according to gender dancing.
  We have a wonderful heritage to look back on, who can tell what the future
will bring. Evolution and changes can be good, but let's not allow changes
from such a beautifully exquisite tradition to deteriorate to street, work
and business level of sameness.
  We must always keep flexibility in mind as not everyone picks up a flyer
before each dance and those who are visiting may not know the suggested
level of attire for any given dance.