[Squaredancing] Cost of clothing

Brenda brenda.kc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:03:40 EDT 2007

Not sure about all areas however many of my dresses were given to me
when first started to dance.  If you let people know you are willing and
actually proud to receive their outfits many will come your way.

Ask around find out who has quite dancing then call them to see if you
can purchase their clothing.  If they have a lot make a deal for all the
items
more than likely you will come out better financially this way.

From one lady when first started bought her entire wardrobe for $300.00
this included 14 petticoats some crystal and lame, all in great condition,
23 outfits, 7 skirts, along with 11 tops.  What is great about this you can
sell the ones you do not like or share them with other dancers.

The Federation in my area has a back room with male and female clothing for
sale and free both.  Last years president put out 4 racks of free
petti-coats, outfits, dresses and petti-pants of her own to anyone who
wanted them.

Several of the larger cities in the states around my area have
clothing for sale most priced very low.   When you travel ask around
you never know what you will find.  Albuquerque NM has a really nice
little store at one dance they sold men's and women's shirts for only $!.00
each during the dance.

We like to make sure our new dancers start out with 2 or 3 free outfits.
Then there is ebay for some really nice deals.  Paid as little as .6 cents
for a new pair of coast shoes.the most have paid was $42.00 and they are
$350.00 professional dance shoes. Helps to have small feet. LOL

You can watch places like Hobby Lobby for fabric sales.  One of my
dresses is silk organize the fabric was $29.00 a yard regularly,
on sale paid $2.00  a yard so the dress cost a total of $15.00 zipper,
trim and all. JoAnn;s fabrics has some really great deals as well.

My Halloween out fit this year will be lime green and black spider webs paid
.42 cents a yard for the material last November.  The dress cost a total of
$6.00, paid $10.00 for a crystal petti-coat add my .6 cent shoes
a dollar belt, along with free pettipants.  Total cost $17.06

My last year Nationals dress found at a second hand store called
Savers for $35.00.  The dress is a designer label with full beaded bodice
it was new with the tags still on it, priced new $5,000.00.  Simply cut
the length off leaving lots of material to make the mans outfit to match.
Even if you do not sew one could have the cleaners do this for a
few dollars.  Made the blue lame petticoat to match it for $20..00 with
fabric found on sale.

Have the all the local second hand stores save anything square dance
for me.  The Salvation army cost is $1.49 each item.  If do not like it
or can not wear it then take it to the federation for their back room to
share.
When you pay this little for items you can afford to donate thus making it
possible for others to join the fun in dressing up for an awesome night
of dancing away from all the realities of real life.

If you are inventive dressing well can be reasonable in cost and fun.

Brenda