[Squaredancing] Everyone there LOVED the dress code (or do they?)

David Ameeti david at ameeti.us
Sun Jul 8 20:34:57 EDT 2007

> During the NSDC in Charlotte there were first time Convention
> attendees who participated in some of the panels who expressed their
> approval of the dress code -- while they may not represent all new
> dancers, they did not have a problem with the dress code.
Actually, that logic is like going to a Republican convention and asking
how they feel about Hillary Clinton -- and then using the results that
89% of America wouldn't vote for her.

By definition, those attending already accepted the premise of the dress
code.  So, yes, they expressed "their approval of the dress code".

By that same definition, those who didn't approve of it weren't present
to express that disapproval.

So by that logic, EVERYONE there agrees... except for those that don't
-- because they weren't there to express their opinion.  Actually, they
did express their opinion... and it was expressed by not attending.  And
yet that is a hard lesson for many to accept.

Sadly, as has been expressed by previous posts, even those that were
present did vocalize (in some of the panels, even if off-topic) that
they did NOT agree with it.  So when someone (in a previous post) said
"Since those who want to dress in a very casual manner are very few in
number", I could not stop laughing that that backwards logic.  The
research says that the majority do not want the dress code, not the
other way around.

So if we go by the research already done (and not the occasional
antidote's about how "everyone I know loves it" -- we do tend to hang
around people with similar styles), the dress code hall would be very
small and the common-sense dress code would be the much larger hall.
(And I'm willing to go with that logic.)

--DD