[Squaredancing] Girls who can sew -- vs. those who can't

David Ameeti david at ameeti.us
Sun Jul 8 20:13:39 EDT 2007

> "You don't have to spend a lot of money on square dance attire." If
> you know how to sew, making simple outfits can save a lot of money.
What you say is 100% correct -- if you sew.  However... some simple
questions:

    * How many girls today can sew?  (No slight to those who can't...
      but I'm speaking the reality here)
    * How many girls even have time to sew?  (Aren't people speaking of
      so little time in their lives as it is?)
    * How many activities are considered affordable only when you can
      sew your own clothing?
    * How many events have a clothing rule that has clothing you can
      ONLY wear within that activity (I've never seen any girl EVER wear
      a S/D outfit at another type of event) -- and I'm not speaking of
      clothing for safety reasons but purely aesthetics only)? (Yes,
      some activities do... but would anyone dare argue that that is the
      majority or the exception?)

Enough said... most people buy clothing nowadays, so the argument that
it can be affordable by making your own clothing is clearly the
exception, not the rule.  Let's try to speak to the majority, not the
exception.

--DD