[Squaredancing] Discussion on the National in Charlotte

Heinz D. Trost htrost at gmx.de
Fri Jul 13 14:52:38 EDT 2007

Bill,

> Heinz -- The minimum wage here in the States, as of 24 Jul 2007, will be
> $5.85 per hour.  Add to that FICA and Medicare taxes (6.20% & 1.45%
> respectively) and the actual minimum wage is more like $6.30.  It's true
> some people are earning minimum wage, but not most like I said.

oops, that's interesting.

> Occupations here that depend on gratuities are exempt from minimum wage
> requirements

I know that when minimum wage was at $ 4.55 e.g. room maids got paid
just about  $ 2.50/hour and have to hope that they'd get tipped by the
guest.

> unlike Germany.

In Germany we don't have any minimum wage.

>  It's customary now to tip anywhere from
> 15% to 20%, at least in this area of Florida.

yes, travel guides for the USA recommend that for tip the tourist should
  double the tax.

> It is not unknown for
> waiters/waitresses to earn from $200 - $400 a night in tips during the
> prime tourist season. Here in northwest Florida, between Pensacola and
> Panama City, the unemployment rate is about 2.5% so even burger-flippers
> at Mickey-D's and Wendy's start out making between $7.50 - $8.50 per hour.

Maybe I should try to get a green card for the USA...

But first I'll try to finish the quality management class which I
actually attend, pass the exams and get the certificates as
"Business-Manager Quality" and "Business-Manager Quality Excellence", too,-

and I also try to get back my old skills in square- and round dancing, too.

Heinz