[Squaredancing] Theme Dances

Dave Hinde dave at daveswebplace.net
Sun Jul 15 10:25:38 EDT 2007

I just had a good experience with a Theme Dance that I thought I'd pass
along.  We had a dance scheduled for July 6 and tought out attendance would
suffer because it was just after July 4th, so we made it a "Red, White, and
Blue" theme dance, with a prize for the most patriotically dressed.  Our
attendance was double what it usually is.  So we've decided that our August
dance would be "The Watermelon Crawl".

Having said that, I think Theme Dances can be overdone.  A couple of our
local clubs publish a list of their dances for a year at a time.  Everyone
(they dance twice a month) has some type of theme.  When every dance has a
theme, then none of they are anything special, the theme is largely ignored.

Years ago I danced with a club that met every week.  We decided to make one
dance a month a Theme Dance.  That seemed to work out well.  It gave the
members something to look forward to, one night they could plan something
special, make a special refreshment, maybe dress a little differently, etc.

Dave Hinde
 __/, at __    dave at daveswebplace.net
/O____O_|  http://www.evadsti.net <http://www.evadsti.net/>

  _____