[Squaredancing] Spokane comment...

Rem Remington remremington at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:38:18 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,
The comment below caught my eye and I wanted to field some questions:
> >Spokane, WA won the bid for the 61st National Square Dance Convention > >to be held in 2012.> > > >> Doesn't look as an attractive place, I think.>

Now let me say at the forefront, I am not intending to make this sound nasty to the writer or stir up mud, but just to investigate a perceived prejudice here.
Did people NOT go to Wichita on a pre-judgment of some kind that Wichita would be no fun? Are casual comments like the one above, (and it looks like it is based upon no personal, accurate information about Spokane,) intended to harm a location's chances of attracting dancers? It is always easy to make a disparaging remark about someplace if you have no data and a prejudice. If I am wrong here, please correct me that you have been to Spokane, have researched Spokane or have some first-hand knowledge of Spokane.
Maybe this is an indicator that the Spokane 2012 Committee has its work cut out for it to familiarize us dancers out here to the area and the entertainment available outside of Square Dancing, maybe?
This all brings me to the real question I wanted to ask: What makes a "good" location for a national square dance convention?
Amusement rides? Hollywood? Or a great climate, in a beautiful location with great facilities accommodating dancing? Or do we want/need entertainment outside of square dancing?
Does access to the City make a difference? An international airport is not enough? Amtrak mainline not enough? Interstate highways that come through the most beautiful landscapes our nation offers not enough?
What does make for a good NSDC convention sight?
Or would having the most entertaining Callers, Cuers and SD related entertainment be adequate regardless of location? I know that just to go to a dance within 15 miles of our home we look at the caliber of who is on the program. Is this a primary consideration for a National?
What would entice you to drive/fly/ride to Spokane Washington USA in 2012? (Or to Louisville or Detroit for that matter?)
Its a good enough place for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships to return there in 2010 after having a terrific first visit in 2007 on their first event in Spokane.
Maybe we should give them, and the other non-glitzy locations, a chance to promote themselves before we bash them, however unintentionally? You most likely did not mean anything bad, but I’ve seen how comments like this can taint a topic before it even gets a chance to get off on a good foot.

I’ve visited Spokane for Expo 74, I also have been there for other events over the years too. I've driven through there on the way to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park and on our way to Silverwood Theme Park, not far from there. Somewhat to the south is the Snake River, and slightly west is the Columbia River and all of the recreation areas available in both locations. Surprisingly, there are a lot of things to do within walking distance of the proposed location, a plethora of fun things to do and see in both short and medium drives. As well as a ton of great places along the trail coming and going. One could have a fantastic adventure which could fill much more than a week or two of a vacation.

Is it just that Spokane is not on the "mainstream" American pathway?

Now I speak of Spokane, because I've been there. Louisville is an unknown to me. Short of good basketball, whiskey and horses, what's in Kentucky? I think I’d need to know more before expressing an opinion, one way or the other, publicly.

Funds available, I would go to a National because of the Square Dance Program, and entertainment along the trail may be a draw, definitely, but should it be it the major consideration compared to providing exceptional Dance programs at the National Convention?

Not trying to be a purist here and say only the SD events are important, but a dissection of why we go the a National and what we look for in the overall effort might assist planners and dancers to evaluate the allocation of funds and time for a relative unknown location like Spokane, Louisville, Santa Fe or Portland.
What do you think?

Rem Remington, (not from Spokane, but I have visited there.)
.

Enter the Zune-A-Day Giveaway for your chance to win — day after day after day
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V1