[Squaredancing] After Parties

Sandy Caldwell shcaldwell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 09:34:44 EDT 2008

Mike,

I'm not quite as old as your group, but I didn't like afterparties with
skits when I was still under 30. Part of that is because I'm not a night
person and after dancing I don't want to think.  I do love to go out and get
something to eat and socialize that way.

The other reason is that most afterparties bored me.  I don't like the types
or jokes and skits that were usually offered.  We went to some parties that
were actually fun, but mostly they were the ones that just had lots of
interesting conversation about dancing, and food.  Some had skits that were
just plain offensive.  One by a caller was so bad, we never danced to him by
choice after that.

Our original club had skits during a break at some dances, but eventually we
found that people got tired of them and would rather dance more and go to a
restaurant later.

What does your group really want to do?

Sandy (who stayed up late for Tech Squares one year and decided to just be
"old" the next)

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Mike Gormley <WA8VEC at arrl.net> wrote:

> I love after parties, and have many times suggested we have some at our
> club.  The problem is, our dancers are of the older generation, 65 to 85
> years.   A 2 1/2 hour dance is about all they want.   It is not like
> they have to go to work the next day, like me, they are all retired.
> Our dance is from 7 pm to 9:30 pm.   I am not speaking of every dance
> having an after party, but perhaps 3 during a season of Nov thru April.
>
> I have tried fitting a skit between tips or during a break session to
> warm them up to the idea.
>
> How do I convince them to do a few of these?
>
> Mike Gormley
> Florida Keys

Sandy Caldwell