[Squaredancing] (no subject)

KempAngus at aol.com KempAngus at aol.com
Fri Jun 6 16:09:50 EDT 2008

I have only been involved in square dancing since March of 2007, when I
first wanted to take square dance lessons.  I had to wait until September  2007 to
do so.  In the meantime, I attended the dances throughout the  spring and
summer, met some great people and enjoyed the entertainment  provided by the
Callers.   I finished Mainstream in January, and have  finished Plus lessons in
April of this year.  I've thoroughly enjoyed  becoming involved in square
dancing.

I agree with Candy about the music.  I've discovered so far that there  is a
huge variety of music.  We all have our favorite music, of  course.  The
Callers can change up their music - whether the music was  created many years ago
or more recently - and add songs to their program  that they haven't used
before.  I don't think the music needs to be, or  even should be, revamped by
getting rid of the "old" and using all "new"  songs.  There are many older songs
that are timeless.  There should be  a pleasant mixture, which is what I've
experienced in the past year.

I've learned that the clothing is a very hot topic - some very strong
opinions are held one way or the other by some people.   It seems that  it should
not be so complicated.  It's fun to dress up - but it did take me  a few times
of wearing the petticoats and dresses to feel more comfortable in  them.
However, there are other options available for those who don't  want to wear the
petticoats, etc.  There are the longer skirts  (prairie), and some clubs leave
the clothing choice up to each  individual  - whether dresses of any type or
pants, jeans, shorts,  etc.  We should be respectful to those who choose to
dress differently than  we ourselves might choose.  I think it's important that we
keep the overall  picture in perspective...........we gather together to
enjoy the dancing and  music/calling, and one another's friendship.

When Candy talks about "atmosphere", she is right.  Square dancing  provides
a very wonderful atmosphere to have fun without the complications that
drinking alcohol tends to bring into a setting.  Almost every person I've  met in
square dancing since March 2007 has been kind and friendly and I've  always felt
welcome.  I've made tremendously wonderful friends.

Perhaps we need to sell the "atmosphere" that square dancing is a fun, safe
place for families and anyone interested in having a great time.  It is
sometimes hard for parents to find appropriate activities for their  families and
in my opinion, square dancing is a perfect activity to fit that  venue.

These are just some of my observations that I've made over the past year or
so.

Sheree
Colorado

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.