[Squaredancing] The 57th NSDC is now history

Ken Robinson kenrbnsn at rbnsn.com
Sun Jun 29 01:21:53 EDT 2008

At 12:09 AM 6/29/2008, Heinz D. Trost wrote:
>Ken et al,
>
>thank you for the data.
>
> >The 57th National Square Dance Convention is now history. The final
> >total attendance number that I saw was 6,025. :-(  They had projected 7,000.
> >

>well, square dancing is still dying and so the Nationals is, too.
>Maybe the 58th next year will raise up the attendance a bit, because
>Long Beach, CA is better connected to the world and more attractive than
>Wichita, KS, was.
>But as long as the NEC still forces "proper" attire, but means
>"Traditional" in the definition of Legacy, Callerlab, ECTA and EAASDC,
>instead of  "casual" or at least "proper" in the definition of Legacy,
>etc.,- and as long as there still are too many people in the hobby who
>won't see the hard reality and block any major changes to adjust the
>hobby to the needs of the actually and younger customers, square dancing
>won't stop extincting.

Looking around the dance floors I noticed that the dress code wasn't
being enforced. There were plenty of guys in short sleeved shirts and
women in slacks dancing.  I don't know the numbers of young dancers
at the convention as a percentage of total dancers, but it seemed to
me, there were more younger dancers there this year than I remember
in previous years. And not all were from exhibition groups. In fact,
there was one major exhibition group missing this year -- The
Maycroft Square Tappers.

It would be interesting to see the percentage of youth dancers at the
last few conventions.

Ken