[Squaredancing] The 57th NSDC is now history

Heinz D. Trost htrost at gmx.de
Sun Jun 29 01:09:04 EDT 2008

Ken et al,

thank you for the data.

>The 57th National Square Dance Convention is now history. The final
>total attendance number that I saw was 6,025. :-(  They had projected 7,000.

well, square dancing is still dying and so the Nationals is, too.
Maybe the 58th next year will raise up the attendance a bit, because
Long Beach, CA is better connected to the world and more attractive than
Wichita, KS, was.
But as long as the NEC still forces "proper" attire, but means
"Traditional" in the definition of Legacy, Callerlab, ECTA and EAASDC,
instead of  "casual" or at least "proper" in the definition of Legacy,
etc.,- and as long as there still are too many people in the hobby who
won't see the hard reality and block any major changes to adjust the
hobby to the needs of the actually and younger customers, square dancing
won't stop extincting.

>Spokane, WA won the bid for the 61st National Square Dance Convention
>to be held in 2012.

Doesn't look as an attractive place, I think.

>I've updated my web pages that show the NSDC  attendance from 1952
>through 2008. The older one can be seen at <
>http://www.rbnsn.com/nsdc/index.php>. The newer one, which used
>Google Visualization (i.e. Javascript) can be found
>at  <http://www.rbnsn.com/nsdc/index_gv.php>. You can click on the
>individual bars to see the attendance figures.

yes, thank you, Ken, good job!

Heinz
Germany