[Squaredancing] regarding classes

Heinz D. Trost htrost at gmx.de
Sun Oct 26 15:23:52 EDT 2008

Larry et al,

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of plus graduated dancers who can't dance
Mainstream without breaking the squares.

E.g. my first stay in the USA as a graduated mainstream dancer
(graduated at July 1st, 1999, just to be permitted to attend the 3-day
"Happy Birthday" special dance with Jerry Story, Tony Oxendine, Paul
Bristow and Juergen Weresch  a weekend later)
at Dec. 27th I attendend a dance in Houston, TX. The caller was the
famous Johnnie Wykoff. I introduced myself to Johnnie as a mainstream
only dancer from Germany. And Johnnie agreed to make several tips in
pure mainstream between the plus tips.

Then before one tip he gave me a sign and so I went on the floor into a
square. Johnnie started the tip and it was real pure Mainstream, he just
dissolved the plus calls in mainstream and I had absolutely no problems
to dance it without any mistakes. And the square I was in also had no
problems, too.
But most of the other 15 or so squares had big problems and/or broke.
And so after this tip Johnnie told me: "Sorry Heinz, but my dancers
can't dance Mainstream!" and the following tips were the regular soft
plus they were used to dance in that area,- and I stayed out.

So there are plus dancers who can't dance regular Mainstream without
mistakes.

Heinz