[Squaredancing] regarding classes

Candy Hughes catcaller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 15:42:06 EDT 2008

Martin, I have the feeling that if you advertise it as "Mainstream DBD
Workshop", that you will be more likely to get attendance from Plus
dancers

many people dancing Plus that I know, would not be likely to go to a
CLASS advertised as Mainstream ... they feel they have "been there,
done that", even if they are particularly competent at some Mainstream
calls

or they figure they would be Angels, and might not be in the frame of
mind to LEARN something

however, by calling it DBD, they will figure there is some "challenge"
to the class, that it's "not the same boring old Mainstream"

might help if you then teach some calls from unusual set-ups; "compare
and contrast" the call as called from standard positions and from
"scrrewball" ones

make it fun !

most really good square dancers I know, are always learning something
new, always open to a different interpretation .... in contrast to
those who show up to "help" at Mainstream classes for new dancers, as
a "duty", and just kind of walk through in a daze, or try to show off
by using nonstandard styling, twirls, and cutting up

might be fun, also, for you to announce, on occasion, that the men
will have to dance Girl and the women will have to dance Boy, for the
next tip ....

if you are careful in your advertising of this "class", you will
gather a group which really wants to learn, which relishes the
challenge

Candy

(who would really enjoy such a class)