[Squaredancing] regarding classes

Heinz D. Trost htrost at gmx.de
Sun Oct 26 14:51:51 EDT 2008

Martin et al,

> Has anyone any experience with a class that qualifies as 'mainstream
> for plus dancers'? If so, what was the response, and would it be
> worthwhile to repeat ?  If not, do you have any thoughts re the value
> of a class with that purpose ?

we have the Stoke Boat Promenaders, a club which is member of our
SquareRoundRegion Stuttart (SRRS) association (http://www.srrs.de).

They saw that there are a significant number of dancers (graduated at
Mainstream, Plus, in some cases A1, too) who still havesome problems
with calls from Basic and Mainstream list.

And so they hired the caller and caller coach Hans-Gerd Gasser (who is
an absolute smooth teacher, too) for a special event. They named it
"Dance school".

Three years ago they started the first one, and it was attended by more
than 60 dancers, including a lot of plus and higher graduated.

Everybody was welcome there, and those who were higher level graduated
but had some problems with  some calls from the lower basic and/or
mainstream list  were able to mask themselves as angels, so they can't
lose their countenance.

Hans-Gerd and their club caller Wolfgang let them dance first
(Mainstream and Basic), and had a look where several dancers had
problems, and then they made workshop tips especially with these calls
which were so hard for some of the present dancers.

The event went well and dancers and the club were so happy that the club
decided to have an annually "Dance school" event in upcoming years, too.
And so it still is, next February 14th will see the 4th "Dance school"
there!

Heinz