Spam:*****, [Squaredancing] Question

Dave dave at daveswebplace.net
Wed Jun 8 19:29:13 EDT 2005

There are several "sides" to this question and several answers.  A lot
depends on the area of the country.  Different areas and different clubs had
different accepted practices.

First, never sit and wait for a partner to find you!  This goes for both men
and women.  When the music starts, jump up and stand near the edge of the
floor.   Look around like you are looking for a partner and are eager to
jump into a square.  Also, make sure the club officers know you are single
and need a partner.

Standing in a square looking for a partner can be awkward.  At clubs that
are mainly single, it works out OK.  At other clubs, you may be keeping a
couple from filling that spot.   Now if there are squares that need two more
dancers, jump up and let them know you want to fill the spot if you find a
partner.  If you see a couple on the sidelines, let them in.  Maybe they
will split up to let you dance, maybe they will want to dance with each
other.

Some areas have single's rotation sign up sheets.  There is one set of
rotation quidelines online someplace, but I don't have that address.  I hope
someone can post it.  I'd like to provide a link to it on the SSDUSA web
site.

Other area have dance cards for the ladies.  This tends to cut out
latecomers, or visitors that don't know the "ropes".  In that case, the club
officers should help out.  Also, some areas the women tend to call around
and fill up their cards before the dance has even started.

One of the Panel discussions at this year's Nationals, in Portland, is
"Single's How to Keep Them Interested".  If you are attending the Nationals,
please come to the Panel and share your thoughts.  It will be Saturday
morning at 10 AM (too early!).   The single, or solo, dancer is the fastest
growing segment of square dancing.  A couple times in the last year surveys
have shown that 60% of all new dancers are single.

See ya'll in Portland,

Dave Hinde
 __/, at __     <mailto:dave at daveswebplace.net> dave at daveswebplace.net
/O____O_|   <http://www.daveswebplace.net/> http://www.daveswebplace.net