[Squaredancing] After Parties

Heinz D. Trost htrost at gmx.de
Wed Jun 4 12:29:36 EDT 2008

Sheree,

> What are After Parties?

that's different.
Here in Germany (where we are used to dance almost non-stop (the longest
break is with the caller smokes and run out for the lenght of a
cigarette and the up to 3 1/2 minutes  of announcements)) after party is
just a cozy get-together after the weekly club dance or the special
dance for an hour or more (sometimes open end).
It depends on the dance location if there is an after party after every
dance, e.g. because the club dances in an adjoining room of a restaurant
(and the club don't pay a fee for the room so the landlord

  should be able to sell food and drinks to us), or if the club dances
somewhere

  where they aren't forced to leave just in time after the dance,-
or just occassionally, e.g. because the club dances in a school or
community center and must leave after clean-up just in time and then
club board or some dancers ask if somebody would be in the mood for an
after party somewhere else in a restaurant nearby. In the last case
usually only a few dancers do attend the after party, and just a very
few if the after party won't  be in a walking distance.

There's just one special dance I know which has a skit at the after
party here.

E.g. in England neither the square nor the round dances are use to have
after parties. Two years ago at European Square Dance Convention just
for the guests from the other countries the British hosting club
installed an after party with the typicall English skit "Dinner for
one". Actors (including the tiger on the floor) were the callers.

In the USA a few clubs do have after parties, usually the way that some
of the dancers drive e.g. to a Denny's or a Mexican, one of the rare
number of restaurants which are open after 10 pm in the USA.

Actually I never attended an US American club dance night with an after
party with skits.

Heinz
Germany