[Squaredancing] clothing

Candy Hughes catcaller at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:20:28 EDT 2008

I absolutely agree

I would far rather dance with people who are enthusiastic about
dancing, than dance with people who are more focused on what they are
wearing, than on the dancing

that being the case, I think that those who are adamant about a
certain form of attire at a dance or event, should bring additional
suitable clothing to loan to those who show up and are willing to
dance wearing "dress code" clothing

(after all, suitcases CAN get lost in transit ! )

my personal feeling is:  those who are dancing should be allowed to
dance in whatever regalia they feel appropriate, so long as it doesn't
offend the sensibilities of the other attendees ... while dancers
likewise have the responsibility to skip functions where their
preferred mode of dress doesn't conform to the dance's announced
clothing policy

for example, I happen to like fluffy petticoats and short full skirts
... I find I dance in a different style if I wear jeans and a
tee-shirt to conform to "casual lessons and workshop" --- it's not as
much fun for me .... and I prefer to skip events where there might
well be full or partial nudity  (have never attended such, heard about
them second- and third-hand)

around here we see all sorts of attire at dances, and I'll dance
happily with anyone who is clean and covered ...

I'm far more upset about dancing with someone who has been smoking,
since having such as my corner, even momentarily, means I will
probably cough all night due to allergies ...

Candy